Season 6 Episode FIVE of the Intrepid Way podcast series, Leadership on the Ground, with Erica Peitler and co-host Todd Schnick
The Context Tool Set
SEASON 6 EPISODE FIVE – The Context Tool Set!
Discussion Guide for this episode:
- Frameworks and models are important tools… roadmaps for why and where, and they provide focus and pacing.
- Models help us frame the context we are operating in.
- “We are our biggest tool….if we know how to use it.” Three keys for the self: Mastery of communication skill set, maintaining conscious competency, and language (using it correctly).
- THE CONTEXT TOOL SET LIGHTNING ROUND:
- Situational Leadership: a coaching tool to ultimately get people to self-sufficiency.
- Analytical Rigor: used to make decisions or to process an issue.
- Organizational Excellence: Used to put together an action plan at a macro level. Are you reading the environment correctly, and communicating appropriately?
- Your Narrative: Telling the story of your organization or your team journey. As a leader, you have to keep the story visible!
- Organizational Values: The behavioral expectations we have of our team.
- Meeting agenda’s: Day in, day out ability to manage context. “Why are we having this meeting?”
- Managing your calendar: To ensure that the way you spend your time reflects WHY you are doing something.
- Your Game plan as a Coach: A plan on why you need to do certain things, or why you need to approach a task a certain way. The plan has to change, as the context might evolve as well.
- SWOT and STEEP: SWOT analyses need to be done regularly, as the environment changes, you need to evolve with it. The STEEP analysis enables you to stay on top of EXTERNAL forces (politics, economic, societal) that can impact your organization.