Season 3 Episode TWO of the intrepidNOW podcast series, Leadership on the Ground. with Erica Peitler and co-host Todd Schnick, editor-in-chief at the intrepidNOW Network.
The Rhythm of Leadership…
Listen in as we discuss Creating and Owning Your Narrative!
SEASON 3 EPISODE TWO – Creating and Owning The Narrative
Discussion Guide for this episode:
1. Erica provides an overview of creating and owning the narrative.
2. Why the “narrative” is important in the context of your team and your organization. The “rhythm” is in how to tell the narrative!
3. “Where were we? Where are we? And where are we going next?” This is a good model with which to build your own narrative.
4. It is ok for the narrative to evolve over time.
5. The narrative serves as a way to connect to people, to get them to buy in, to take bold risks, and move the organization forward.
6. The biggest risk is that most leaders underestimate the power of the narrative.
7. Remember, the role of leadership is to communicate the vision until everyone understands and buys in.
8. How do different leadership styles come into play with regards to creating and owning the narrative?
9. Old story, new story. Leaders often struggle with the team sticking to the old story, and not moving to the new story. Leaders have to call that out. Their job is to convince and inspire people to buy into the new story.
10. You can use entry points to contribute to building the new story.
11. Any rhythm killers and narrative derailers to know about here? Rumors and breaking alignment, to name two. Here is how to contain them…
Click here to listen to Leadership on the Ground, Season 3 – Episode 2 NOW!
Previous #LOTG Season 3 Episodes: (click on title to hear the episode)
Episode 1: Facilitating progress & aligned action