Episode FOUR of the intrepidNOW podcast series, Leadership on the Ground, with Erica Peitler and co-host Todd Schnick, editor-in-chief at the intrepidNOW Network.
Everything you think you know about leadership, is about to be turned upside down…
Listen in as bestselling author and leadership performance coach Erica Peitler explains the importance of emotional intelligence and how you cannot lead without it.
EPISODE FOUR: The Importance of Emotional Intelligence
Discussion Guide from this episode:
1. When you are recruiting leaders for your organization, should you be looking for the person with the highest IQ?
2. Self-awareness is essential with leadership, and emotional intelligence makes this possible. It helps us understand how to be in healthy relationships.
3. It’s not just how you handle other people, it is also about understanding how to handle yourself in specific situations.
4. The importance of being vulnerable, and how that makes you a more effective leader, by creating safe space and safe environments to work.
5. Some leaders struggle because they fear delegating. Self-awareness and emotional intelligence enables a leader to have the right person handle a specific situation.
6. Understanding your hard-wiring enables you to effectively manage your relationships.
7. Business is messy. And you have to be able to roll with it and still be productive.
8. Where sequencing falls into this idea of emotional intelligence: self-awareness, followed by self-management.
9. How am I showing up (as a leader)? Are you a passive leader? Are you a reluctant leader? Are you an active leader? Don’t make the mistake that, as a leader, your team has to adapt to you and your style. You have to “flex” to the team around you.
Previous Episodes in the #LOTG Season #1 Podcast Series