#LOTG Season #1 Podcast Episode #4 – The Importance of Emotional IntelligenceApril 14, 2015
#LOTG Season #1 Podcast Episode #6 – How to Become a Facilitator of ProgressApril 15, 2015
Episode FIVE of the intrepidNOW podcast series, Leadership on the Ground, with Erica Peitler and co-host Todd Schnick, editor-in-chief at the intrepidNOW Network.
Everything you think you know about leadership, is about to be turned upside down…
Listen in as bestselling author and leadership performance coach Erica Peitler discusses Style Versatility and the importance of knowing how to adapt as a leader.
EPISODE FIVE: Style Versatility
Discussion Guide from this episode:
1. Today, we have to deal with a very, very complicated business environment. This has impacts all across the board. So, what does this mean? Today’s leaders have to not only be on top of their game, but also aware of a very diverse business environment.
2. We love to tell people what to do. But there are a variety of coaching (leadership) styles, and you have to adapt to the situation at hand. There isn’t just one way to lead.
3. To practice on-the-ground leadership, you have to know when to use a directive style of leadership, a coaching style, an affiliative style, participative, pace-setting, and finally, a visionary style. You cannot practice only ONE style…
4. If this seems hard, it is. But if you are curious about learning, you can make it happen. Curiosity is a critical trait of the modern leader.
5. Understanding the key differences between directing vs. coaching.
6. The positives and negatives behind affiliative leadership.
7. The different vibe behind participative leadership.
8. For pace-setting leaders, it isn’t just about setting the next big goal. If you aren’t careful, the attitude will be “Gee, what I am doing is NEVER good enough.”
9. Blending these different styles of leadership is where the real magic of leadership happens. Thus, the whole point behind leadership style versatility.
10. Understanding your own your impact.
11. Using the wrong style of leadership can EASILY demotivate your people.
12. Understanding the difference between motivation and inspiration.
Previous Episodes in the #LOTG Season #1 Podcast Series