Season 5 Episode FIVE of the intrepid.MEDIA podcast series, Leadership on the Ground, with Erica Peitler and co-host Todd Schnick, editor-in-chief at intrepid.MEDIA
Some Work Can Only Be Done By YOU (And Your Leadership Team)!
SEASON 5 EPISODE FIVE – Some Work Can Only Be Done By YOU (And Your Leadership Team)!
Discussion Guide for this episode:
- “The strategy of hope.” A common problem, pushing off challenges and struggles to others, hoping the problems go away. The avoidance of conflict…
- Leaders HAVE to make tough choices.
- The most important choice a leader makes is putting in the right (or wrong) leaders around them.
- If you are not prepared to make the tough calls, you are not ready to be a leader.
- If you believe everything is important, then nothing is important, and you aren’t leading. Prioritization is a key responsibility of leaders.
- Key to set the expectations of your people, and to determine role clarity.
- As a leader, there are times you will be unpopular. This is a reality of leadership.
- “You have to explain your choices.”
- Some of the work only a leader can do:
- Putting the right talent around you.
- Managing your resources.
- Establishing expectations for behavior.
- Coach for performance.
- Communication (communicate beyond what you think is logical).
- A leader has to have the patience to communicate a message again and again and again, until it sticks. Most do not have that patience.
- The leader must communicate the following: Where were we, where are we now, and where are we going? This is how the leader controls the narrative.
- VOID: What happens when you do NOT do the work that only you as a leader should do. You create voids that cannot be filled by others.